Yesterday I was in Toronto for the day to get supplies. I visited my favourite places for leather remnants and came home with the pile see here. Most of the pieces are remainders from upholstering, except for the pink in the middle, which was an indulgence. Not sure what I have in mind for it, but the shot of colour is oh so welcome.
I finished my first all-leather handbag on the weekend. It is made from two different remnant pieces and the shoulder strap is a rather classy snakeskin belt. All in all, it came together well. It is the perfect size I have been looking for–big enough to hold phone, money and notebook, yet comfortably portable. I’m now working on an orange one and also eyeing the midnight blue for a third. The interior flap of this one is a red suede skirt. I have enough bubblegum pink to line the orange one, and some beautiful turquoise to set off the blue. Now to get down to it!
On the hooking front, I am almost finished the centre of Fireworks–will post this week. Thinking of the border.
This is the new canvas/ recycled leather tote. At 15″ tall, 16″ across with a wide base, it is made to carry lots of stuff. I wanted a large tote that is strong enough for groceries or art supplies, but still manageable enough to carry for a distance. And with lots of pockets. I think this may be the ticket. I must thank my good friend Melanie for helping me make this wonderful text-fabric.
I made some new large totes of recycled leather and canvas on the weekend. We sourced some #10 and #6 canvas for canoes and bags last week. I like the strength of this weight of canvas for totes. The family has had a long love affair with canvas, starting with my husband who made his first sail for his ice boat when he was in Grade 12. The canvas came from Eaton’s–mail order to a small Ontario town–and his mother’s sewing machine was never the same.
Below is a fid, a sailor’s tool used in making sails, and I find it perfect for inserting into corners of the bags. This particular fid belonged to Jack Braidwood, a well-known Belleville sailor, and it accompanied him on his sail around the world in the 40’s. I love the smooth beauty of the conical shape–the wood is lignum vitae, one of the strongest woods available.
I also got some screen printing done on the weekend, linings and pockets.
Peruvian Images is finished. My very first rug Euclid, is of similar design. Both are from House of Price. Peruvian Images stayed in the cupboard for several years before I decided to start it last year. It is interesting to see the evolution. Euclid was hooked in 2006 on burlap, using #4 cut wool purchased at my first Annual in Lindsay in 2005. Peruvian Images is hooked on linen, with #5 cut and lots of textures, spot dyes and marblized wool, mostly of my own dyeing. Euclid is finer, more careful, more reserved. Peruvian Images is thicker and a bit riotous. Am I taking more risks these days? Maybe.
I have been making two sizes of new labels. I found a wonderful tutorial (just scroll down to August 13, 2o1o). I use white cotton for an inkjet printer by Jacquard that I purchased at Michael’s and Heat ‘nBond, which you can buy by the yard, for backing. The folded ones are for inserting into a seam. The larger ones are for sewing on to fabric or leather; the strip is ready to cut into individual labels as I need them. I find that the Heat’nBond keeps the cotton from fraying and is slightly sticky so helps them adhere. Once I come to terms with Adobe Illustrator, I will make some larger ones for my rugs — with all the required information. Stay tuned…
This wonderful Peruvian is from the Ayacucho region. I have had it on my computer forever, taking inspiration from the colours, geometric progression and whimsical insects. Here is where you can find more beauties.
I’m nearing the home stretch on Peruvian Images. I read some where a long time ago that you should whip your rug all round and save the corners for last. This may sound like torture, but the idea is that your corners are more likely to be symmetrical if they are done right after one another. It always takes me a bit to remember just how to mitre them!
I roll the backing towards the rug so there is no finishing after the whipping. This is always a relief at this stage–no tape, no hand sewing! I’ll take it off to the local cleaners to be steamed this week and then take a picture of the finished piece.