It has been a very long time since I’ve written a post. However, the completion of my Jasika Blazer from Closet Core Patterns seems to be a good reason to write again. This is a daunting pattern, with many steps, but well worth making. The whole process not only produced a wonderful, wearable garment, but helped me up my sewing and pressing skills. I love the couturier details in the pattern and more than that, Heather’s expectation that I, an aging home sewer, am up to the challenge.
When I ordered the pattern, I also ordered the tailoring supplies and the online course sold by Closet Core. I wanted all the help I could get. I circled around this project for several months before I plunged in, and once I started it took less than two weeks to complete.
Heather of Closet Core strongly recommends making a muslin before beginning to sew the blazer. This was important for me as I wanted to adjust the pattern from the fitted style to a boxier, more casual fit. The ebook holds your hand through this. Then, once I made the muslin, I realized that I also had to make a sloped shoulder adjustment. Again, the fitting e-book helped me diagnose and solve my fit issues. I even added an extra layer to one of the shoulder pads!
I used some lovely gray herringbone wool which I have had for a long time, bought at the Dorr Mill Store in New Hampshire. The under collar is made from a recycled Pendelton skirt. I washed both wools in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and popped in the dryer for 10 minutes.
This blazer is my first try at welt pockets, shoulder pads, fine bemburg lining, silk basting stitches, welt interfacing etc etc. Many firsts. Of course it’s not perfect. And there were moments of anguish. The lining has a small seam ripper slit which I carefully patched and my button holer balked at the thick wool, leaving me a button hole which needed some hand-stitching help. But it is the blazer I envisioned, every stitch of it!